"We need to be more grateful. It's one of the marks of strong character, to have a feeling of thanksgiving and gratitude for blessings that are ours. We need more of that spirit in our homes, in our daily associations, in church, everywhere. It's so easy to cultivate the spirit of appreciation." -Ezra Taft Benson

Saturday, November 16, 2013

{Music}

It's been a while since I've written, no I didn't stop being grateful things, I just... A) felt like some of those things couldn't be shared  or B) Honestly didn't feel like writing. 

Today, however, I am very grateful for music!  I'm grateful for the feelings and memories that are related to certain songs.  This came about specifically tonight when I began listening to my Simon and Garfunkel pandora station and the song "Country Roads" by John Denver came on. 


This song has special meaning to me, you see when I drove covered wagons this summer I found myself driving 30% of the time by myself.  Several times when I was alone I would sing to myself to help pass the time, or because I was bored, or just simply because at times if felt appropriate.  The only problem is... there are only a few songs that I actually know ALL of the words to.  Inevitably, I would find myself singing this particular song, because after all I was driving on country roads in the mountains, but also especially when I got home sick, or missed my family.  Oh, and knowing all the lyrics is an added bonus. 

Do you ever have those songs that just mean a lot to you because they helped you through some tough times.  That's what this song was for me.  It helped me overcome the stress I often felt, and helped soothe my family sick heart, not only that but it also just brought peace. 


I'm grateful for the attachments that have to certain songs, because in a way it helps me relive a portion of my life, if only for a few minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment