
Last night I made Jalepeno Poppers for an assignment for my spanish class. I cut 40 Jalepenos in half and seeded them. I also may have forgotten to wear gloves (even though I didn't know that's what I would be doing). My hands burned so bad by the time we were done.
I drove straight home and stuck them under cold water. Then I called my mom, she told me to stick them in some milk. Well after a while no such luck... so Michael, my roommate- Jen, and I took a field trip to Walmart in search of Burn Free.
But, to no avail... So we looked for any sort of burn cream... yeah, my Walmart is WAY small and had nothing even close. So I bought some Aloe Vera with Lidocane.
That didn't work. I tried, baking soda, milk, bleach, shampoo, flour, hot water (to make it hurt worse, so that maybe the pain wouldn't be as bad in comparrison if that makes any sense), lemon juice, benadryl, and ib profen. but nothing worked too well.
Finally I took my benadryl, and hoped that would at least knock me out so I could sleep. That didn't work- so I kept a small basin of water by my bedside and stuck my hands in everytime they began burning again.
At three in the morning I couldn't handle it anymore and so I called my mom in tears. My hands hurt so bad, and I couldn't sleep. My mom told me she would call the hospital and see what they suggested. The kindest nurse told my mom that they best thing to do at that point which was almost 7 hours later was just to keep soaking them in cold water and that it would dillute the jalapeno oil. So I stayed up for about an hour, dipping them in water for 5 minutes and then pulling them out and reading until they started hurting agian and repeated the process.
My hands feel so much better now, but I'm so grateful today for my mom. Who else would answer the phone at 3 a.m. and then go through the trouble of calling 2-3 hospitals for advice. I'm also grateful for whichever nurse it was who offered that advice (legitimately a life saver- I would have gone crazy otherwise). :)

No comments:
Post a Comment